La Jolla is one of the higher end beach towns in San Diego, CA. It's location at the northern end provides for many unobstructed views of the ocean. Although there are many great photo ops, one must-see is the Secret La Jolla Swings. There are actually two La Jolla Secret Swings (Part 2), but this blog covers the better backdrop.
The entrance to this destination is in a residential area near La Jolla Cove. Park in one of the adjacent neighborhoods near the intersection of Torrey Pines Road & Prospect Place. The graphic below highlights where parking was found pretty easily. You can also park on Prospect Place near the shops, but that's usually filled.
COORDINATES // 32°50'52.1"N 117°16'05.0"W
There is a small parking lot with an entrance going down stairs and a driveway to the left. Walk down and continue along the path. You’ll see a Trail Closed Ahead sign, but keep going until you reach the bottom of the staircase, and turn right. When you reach the white bridge, stop at the base. You can either go under or over the rail to the left. Hike down and you’ll see the palm tree with the swing. See below for a step-by-step guide.
It’s best not to go after it has rained. The trail going down can be muddy, so if you must go, be prepared to get dirty.
- Wear shoes! Especially if it has rained the day before.
- Pacific Beach (PB), Mission Beach (MB), and Ocean Beach (OB) are the next beach towns over. Just drive South down the coast and you'll hit them all.
- For another picture op, walk South on the path (left instead of right from the staircase) and you'll be at La Jolla Cove. Listen for the sea lions.
- Pick up after yourself! This is a residential area so please be courteous.
- Although this blog was completed in 2018, the 2019 La Jolla Secret Swings and onward will be in the same location, unless otherwise stated. This will be reviewed on a semi-annual basis and a new blog will be posted with any changes.