If you’ve ever been around mountaineers, you might have heard the word fourteener. It’s a mountain peak with an elevation of at least 14,000 feet and in Colorado, there are quite a few - 58 to be exact. It’s a journey that requires proper preparation and knowledge, but with the right mindset and equipment, it makes for an unforgettable experience. If you’re up for a challenge, check out the 5 Tallest Fourteeners in Colorado listed below.
Climbing a fourteener requires proper preparation - physically, mentally, and emotionally. Obtain an understanding of the environment you're entering. Watch YouTube videos, read books/articles/blogs and plan your route from A-Z. The ascent can also cause altitude sickness. Take it easy and don't over exert yourself. Everyone's body acclimates differently, so pay attention to others around you. Lastly, make sure you pack appropriately.
- Hydration Pack - this is a must! Make sure you have at least a 2L bladder (3L preferably).
- Hiking Hat
- Hiking Poles, if necessary.
- First Aid Kit
- Use quick-dry clothing. You’ll sweat on the climb up so if you’re wearing cotton, you’ll be freezing at the top.
- Pack extra layers. Weather can change rapidly, so layering is crucial.
- Bring extra water, if your pack allows.
- Snacks - High protein snack bars, energy bars, trail mix, etc.